The devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus | June
The devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus has been an integral part of the Catholic faith since the early days of the Church. Throughout the centuries, this devotion has reminded believers of the immense love and sacrifice of Jesus for humanity. In this article, we will explore the history and significance of this venerable devotion, which finds its origin in a divine apparition that took place on June 16, 1675.
The Encounter with Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque: On that historic day, Jesus appeared to Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque, a French nun from the Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary. During this apparition, the Lord revealed His Sacred Heart to her, surrounded by flames of love, crowned with thorns, and with an open wound from which blood flowed. From within His Heart emerged a cross, symbolizing Christ's redeeming love for humanity.
The Message of Jesus
With deep sadness, Jesus disclosed to Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque the ingratitude, irreverence, and contempt He received from humanity despite His immense love. The message was clear: the Heart of Jesus burns with love for each one of us, but many fail to respond to that love with gratitude and reverence.
The Depth of Devotion
Pope Benedict XVI emphasized that the contemplation of the Sacred Heart of Jesus should not be seen as a passing devotion but rather as essential for a vibrant relationship with God. When we direct our gaze to the pierced heart of Jesus, we encounter the symbol of God's inexhaustible will for salvation and an invitation to love and serve Him with our whole being.
Living the Devotion Today
In this month dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Catholics are called to manifest their devotion through their actions. It is an opportunity to respond to Jesus' infinite love, who sacrificed His life for our salvation and remains present in the Eucharist as a guide to eternal life. By living according to the principles of love and mercy that emanate from the Sacred Heart of Jesus, we become living witnesses of His redeeming love in the world.
The devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus invites us to immerse ourselves in the unfathomable love of our Lord and to respond to His love with gratitude and reverence. In this month of June, let us renew our commitment to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and allow His love to transform our lives. May this loving Heart be our refuge and guide on our spiritual journey towards eternal life.
The Promises of the Sacred Heart of Jesus to St. Margaret Mary
(1) "I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.
(2) I will establish peace in their homes.
(3) I will comfort them in all their afflictions.
(4) I will be their secure refuge during life, and above all, in death.
(5) I will bestow abundant blessings upon all their undertakings.
(6) Sinners will find in my Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
(7) Lukewarm souls shall become fervent.
(8) Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.
(9) I will bless every place in which an image of my Heart is exposed and honored.
10) I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
(11) Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in my Heart.
(12) I promise you in the excessive mercy of my Heart that my all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Fridays in nine consecutive months the grace of final perseverance; they shall not die in my disgrace, nor without receiving their sacraments. My divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment."
May the Sacred Heart of Jesus bless and guide us always with His infinite love.